During the 2020 Belfast Children’s Festival TYA NI will host a showcase of the best of performance work for young audiences being created in NI (6-9 March 2020). TYA NI are inviting submissions for an evening of ScratchWorks on Sunday 8 March 2020
CALL OUT FOR ARTISTS & COMPANIES
Deadline for submissions is 5pm Friday 6 December 2019.
TYANI (Theatre for Young Audiences NI) presents a showcase platform of the best work for children and young audiences from Northern Ireland as part of the TYANI Showcase 6-9 March 2020
The showcase will raise the profile of performance work for young audiences within NI, offer development opportunities for artists and local companies, and provide a showcase of the best NI work for young audiences currently available for international touring. It will bring in leading practitioners, producers and artists together to explore, discuss and network, and it reflects our interest in bringing forward new, innovative and ground-breaking work.
It will feature some of the best performing arts for young audiences from Northern Ireland, talks & discussions for industry professionals, a delegate package, and a Works-in-Progress & ScratchWorks strand for emerging work in the field.
We are seeking submissions from individual artists to present a scratch idea for a performance piece for children and young people aged 0-18 yrs at our ScratchWorks platform on Sunday 8th March 2020.
By ‘scratch’ we mean extract(s) or performance idea(s) that are in development. It’s about sharing and trying out new ideas, and the event is not suitable for finished pieces or workshops. However, we are interested in work that has the potential to be developed into a future performance piece and will develop and benefit from critical feedback received at the ScratchWorks platform. Please bear in mind, as this is mainly an industry event, it is unlikely that many children/young people will be in attendance.
Artists will receive feedback on their work from the audience, including international delegate producers/programmers. Feedback mechanisms will be developed in conjunction with presenting artists, to ensure it is focused, constructive and meaningful.
Selection for this strand will be by panel, including representatives from Cahoots NI, Replay Theatre Company and Young at Art.
What are TYA NI looking for?
• We are looking for pieces/ideas no longer than 15 minutes in length
• The work must be suitable for young audiences (0-18 years)
• You must be based in NI
• All pieces for the ScratchWorks evening will perform in a single rehearsal space, so must be suitable for a swift set-up/clear-down and require minimal technical assistance
• Although the event is primarily aimed to support individual artists we will consider submissions from companies, particularly those not in receipt of core public funding.
• Artists can submit more than one scratch idea, but the panel will select only one idea for each artist
• We particularly welcome submissions from artists that haven’t been selected for previous TYA NI ScratchWorks events
• Artists will receive an honorarium for presenting their ideas within the ScratchWorks evening
We encourage submissions from a diverse range of artists and companies making work for young audiences.
How to apply
Please download and complete the below submission form and send via email only to [email protected] no later than 5pm on Friday 6 December 2019. You will receive the outcome of your submission in early January 2020.
If you have any questions, please direct them to [email protected]
Good luck and we look forward to hearing from you!